Ahmadiyya Muslim Community The Gambia

The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community The Gambia was officially established in 1961, through the Late Chaudry Muhammad Sharif Sahib, the first Missionary and Ameer (National President) of the Community.

Late Chaudry Muhammad Sharif Sahib

Since the days of its establishment in 1961, Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at The Gambia has tremendously benefited its population and that of the sub-region. Ahmadiyyat was introduced in The Gambia through literature and casual contact within the sub-region. It was not until 1955 when a Gambian, late Bara Njie of 11 Rankin Street in Bathurst (a carpenter by profession), initiated action to get a Missionary, stationed in The Gambia. Mr. Njie’s initiative was greeted with strong opposition from some Muslim elders in the city of Bathurst (now Banjul). At last, two Missionaries in the persons of Alh. Hamza Sanyaolu (1959-60) Nigerian, and Mr. Gibril Saeed (1960-61) Ghanaian, were sent here. They were both lodged by the late Bara Njie.One of the numerous tasks of the Promised Messiah and Imam Mahdias is to revive the religion and thereby establish a society coloured with high morals and spiritual values. The Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at, which he instituted under divine guidance, was to perform many wonders in the field of religion, to be witnessed world over, and The Gambia was no exception.